Sunday, September 18, 2011

Do my parents have a point? Do i really spend too long on the computer?

My parents complain about the amount of time i spend on the computer each day and tell me to find something else to do. Now its gotten to the point of heated debates and frustrating arguments. Ive looked around at non-electronic hobbies and i find that im already doing similar things at college or at home on the computer and anything else i find incredibly boring. I spend about 4-6 hours on the computer a day including 1-2 hours of homework. Another 1-2 hours of this is gaming and the rest is game development stuff or Research in to topics that interest me. I make maps mods skins models etc. for games on the source engine (I also do some web development) and later in life i plan to take this vast wealth of knowledge im getting and put it to good use in a career in level design or product design.





The rest of the day i spend at college and at the weekends i go to some clubs, but generally i live too far away from civilization to do much social stuff day to day.





Does this sound unreasonable? Am i right in what im saying or should i do something to change my day to day life?|||Patricia C, how can you say/how can you judge this is too much time? I had this issue when I was 12-13 years old with my parents. They thought I was wasting my life loving and being on a computer so much. Funny thing how 10 years later I've done some great things with my life, such as I make double my fathers current income, and you know what I'm not some guy whom spends all his life inside. I'm also an Iraq Veteran. Guess what man, its your life, do what you like, some people spend all night wishing for something to do, bored, because they have no hobbies, at least you have that.|||I'm the same. Pretty much exactly the same. They don't understand cause they're old and decrepit. It will help in future life. Computers are the future, you're just giving yourself an advantage for later life against all the people who are just on IT courses and will be going for IT jobs. The more you know, the more you're gonna get a job, and shetloads of cash.|||No. some of the things there are hobbies if you're doing well in school then i see no problem with 5 ish hours on the computer. plus you play 2 instruments and you go out sometimes...





video games are a form of entertainment, its no different then TV.|||i think you should change your day to day life you spend way to much time on the computer 2 maybe 3 hours a day but 4-6 hours i'm not trying to be mean if i am i'm so sorry but truly yes you do spend way to much time on the computer and that's bad...........|||Yes it sounds like you are spending too much time on the computer. I spend about that much but it's because I'm a senior citizen in a wheel chair. When I was your age I spent most of my spare time relating to other people.|||As long as your getting your homework and **** done it shouldn't really matter. I spend a couple hours a day on playstation 3 and computer but I do pretty well in school so they leave me alone.|||you do spend a little too much time but only about 30 min. or so. get an xbox 360 and live then u wont spend as much time on the computer.|||Lemme guess...World of Warcraft? I have the same debates. I just bring up "If I don't play, i'll watch tv...at least on the computer my fingers get exercise"

No comments:

Post a Comment