Friday, September 23, 2011

I feel like I've straddled generations and watched a lot of technology grow and go?

I'm Gen X, 36 years old. Here are some of the technologies I've used over the years. Do you think I've observed a lot of change for someone with as short a life as mine? What about you?





8 Track tapes


Vinyl records


Cassette tapes


AM and FM radio, and I built my own AM transistor radio when I was ten. Dad went to NASA soldering school and taught me to solder.


Floor model radios, floor model TV's.


TV's with antennas, useful only out west.


Rotary phones (I learned to do that trick where you call the number by tapping the hang up buttons instead of dialing.)


Touch tone phones.


Morse code.


Car phones with a big antenna.


Mobile phones (1G, 2G, 3G)


CB radios and hand-held CB walkie-talkies


Map and compass instead of GPS


My first computer was a Timex 1000, then a TRS-80.


The first computer I owned was a Mac Classic II


Newsreaders and FTP internet.


Mosaic browser


Netscape and Netscape Communicator


The early web, which was awesome, because of the lack of ads, spam, and viruses.


33 1/3, 45, and 78 rpm vinyl records.


Betamax, VHS VCR's.


Huge camcorders that cost over a thousand dollars.


Vacuum tubes


Black and white TV's.


I also remember the days when being able to type and send a business letter was a necessary skill.


Electric typewriters.


Electronic typewriters.


Electronic word processors


Huge floppy disks, smaller floppy disks. (5.25 in. and 3.5 in.)


28.8 modems, 36.6 modems, 56K modems.


Telnet.


Mac system 6.





I guess I could go on, but has anybody else used all this stuff?|||I am ten years older than you, so you have experienced a lot of change in technology during your lifetime. I've used all the things that you have listed and even some that are not listed, such as a non-electric typewriter. I still have vinyl records and even cassette tapes that I listen to sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment