Sunday, September 18, 2011

What is the most hackable GPS?

I recently bought a handheld GPS reciever to keep track of where I had gone exploring on my bike. It's a Magellan Explorist 500. I bought it second-hand though, so it didn't come with any software. Its usable to find your speed, the direction in which you are traveling and such but without buying at least $50.00 is software, with maps that you can load on the device but which become useless when you buy a new model, it doesn't show you were you are in any great detail.





What I am wishing for, is a GPS that can use open-source, hacked or hackable software, so that I can create my own maps, and not be suckered into a cycle of dependency on electronic devices with a planned obsolescence.





I think the size, housing and sensitivity of the Explorist 500 is good. Its waterproof, accurate and easy to use to input your own labels, its screen can be read easily in the sunlight. My only complain about it is the battery life.





I also want something that can easily be mounted on bicycle handlebars|||I made my own GPS navigation system with these components:


1. Nokia smartphone , N72, $200 (any symbian series 60 will do)


2. A bluetooth GPS (Navibe , $45)


3. Smartcom GPS software on phone ($40)


4. Downloaded and stiched maps from maps.google.com (Free)








I downloaded the maps from gogole maps (http://uselessdiaries.blogspot.com/2008/鈥?/a> and stored it in the N72. You need to calibrate the map the first time use it. (http://uselessdiaries.blogspot.com/2008/鈥?/a>|||The most hackable GPS is Magellan explorist 500 ( http://www.highspeedsat.com/explorist500.htm )

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment